Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How I Met Your Mother/House/Mike & Molly/Hawaii Five-0/The Event

How I Met Your Mother – Blitzgiving
     Jorge Garcia guest starred and I love him!  First reference to Lost was them shouting out “random numbers” and his character The Blitz/Steve shouting the numbers from Lost.  Then there was a reference to double rainbows that made me laugh. 
     Then there were extensive quotes from my favorite movie of all time, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” and then Barney became The Blitz, and there was another Lost island reference.
     At the end of the episode, The Blitz transfer back to Steve, and I assume we will never see him again.
     I enjoyed this episode very much, but I think it was really just a way to get Jorge Garcia onto the show and throw in some Lost references.  The only story that moved forward at all was that Ted and Zoey are now friends.  Honestly, it felt like if you weren’t a Lost fan you wouldn’t have enjoyed this episode nearly as much as I did. 
     I also have to say I have a fear that they are moving slowly toward some kind of a romance between Ted and Zoey.  This would be fine with me if she wasn’t married, but she is married, and while the marriage may not be perfect she is still married.  If Ted becomes a cheater, I won’t be happy.

House – Small Sacrifices
     It seems like at least once a season we get a “House doesn’t believe in God and neither should this patient” episode, and tonight was that episode.  I do have to say, I thought this particular patient was basically crazy, anyone who would reenact the crucifixion and have spikes driven into his palms once a year isn’t quite right.  I never did understand if whatever his disease was caused him to think this was a good deal with God.  I was just glad he finally relented and agreed to the medication that would make him better.
     In other news, Sam broke up with Wilson, and House apologized to Cuddy for lying two her two episodes (or was it three) ago.  The thing was House didn’t really mean it when he said it; he lied to her again while apologizing for lying in the first place.  AND he promised he wouldn’t lie to her again.  Since we all know that’s never going to happen, this could be the beginning of the end for them.  When he lies to her again, as he inevitably will, it’s going to get ugly.

Mike & Molly – Molly Gets a Hat
     Mike’s mother gave Molly a hat, which she didn’t care for so Mike gave it to Carl for his grandmother.  I knew immediately that she would wear it to Thanksgiving dinner, and that Mike’s mom would notice it was the same hat.
     Molly’s attempt to make her first Thanksgiving was not a failure, but also was not a success.  It seemed like everything except the turkey was edible and even good, but the turkey was a mess.  I thought she did okay though, all things considered.
     I am really trying to like the peripheral characters in this show, but it’s not always easy.  In this ep both mothers annoyed me, and Molly’s sister bugged me for the first half of the episode.  Carl was okay this episode and I love his grandmother, I just wish she were featured a bit more.  I keep hoping these characters are going to become more likeable, but it just hasn’t happened for me yet.  It’s really frustrating because I like Mike and Molly a lot and I don’t understand why the other characters aren’t gelling like they do.

Hawaii Five-0 – Hao Kanaka
     Again with the cousin references, cuz’ this, cuz’ that.  I have several cousins and I don’t think any of us do this.  I guess some families do, but I don’t know any.  It feels like lazy writing, and this show is way too new to be dealing with that already.
     This episode felt like an extended advertisement for the phone they were all using, talking about, taking photos with, etc.
     Danny is sloppy.  He left the drawer open in the kitchen, and then the pantry door open as well.  Apparently it wasn’t a big deal, but it was distracting.  He’s supposed to be a good cop, but he made these mistakes.
     Overall this show is fun for the scenery, both Hawaiian and male, and fun for some of the action stuff, but there hasn’t been an episode yet that has made me think, or stuck with me after it aired.  Basically a good guys always win, bad guys always loose bit a fluff that I find fun to watch, but also won’t miss if it doesn’t air or gets cancelled.

The Event – Your World to Take
     Lost had it’s numbers and The Event has the number 1121944 which I am sure has more significance than just letting all the sleepers know it’s time to gather.  What is it with my shows and phones today?
     Thomas has a girlfriend, Isabella, also from their home planet.  She was pretty unpleasant and manipulative and she really wanted Sophia dead.  Thomas seemed like he wanted to kill her, but when it came right down to it, he couldn’t.  Wimpy boy.  Sophia is a BADASS and forced Isabella to shoot herself in the leg to prove her loyalty to Sophia – totally badass!
     Sean and Leila made some headway in their search for Samantha.  A girl named Abby escaped from the same place Sam is being held, and Sean and Leila made an attempt to speak with her.  I assumed the bad guy of this ep was after Abby, it was a good twist that he was really after Leila.
     Vice President Jarvis was in the hospital after being nearly blown up last week.  He was alive, but his wife and children were threatened by Dempsey’s men, so he may not reveal what he knows to the President, out of fear for his wife’s and children’s safety.
     There are times when this show lags for me, but overall I am enjoying it.  I am often tempted to fast forward through Sean and Leila because I am not thrilled by their storyline, and I don’t particularly care for, or about, Leila.  I do really like Jason Ritter (regardless of Sean) though, and I find him pretty compelling, plus I am interested to see what new ways he is going to get abused every week.  My favorite character this episode though, hands down, was Sophia.  She is intense and very interesting to watch, and I can’t wait to see where they take her character.

2 comments:

  1. Re: The Event, is the number supposed to be the date of the crash? That was what I guessed, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good God, Shelly. It never even dawned on me that it could be a date. I bet you are correct!

    ReplyDelete