Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Glee/No Ordinary Family/Sons of Anarchy

Glee – Special Education
     I was so glad Will finally called Rachel out on her bad attitude.  She has always been a brat, but funny and enjoyably.  Lately though she has been insufferable, and I am glad he let her know it wasn’t going unnoticed.
     I felt badly that Kurt didn’t get a solo, but at the same time I am glad he wasn’t able to just waltz into a new school and take over.  He needs to work to prove himself, just like everyone else has, and his time will come.  I was glad to see him and Rachel bonding over their individual issues with their separate glee clubs.
     All the couples drama in this episode felt pretty organic to me, nothing felt terribly forced.  Everyone was edgy because of regionals anyway, and Will mixing up the solos and giving dance assignments to Mike and Brittany was a new, unexpected pairing that threw both their respective relationship mates into new territory.  I AM glad the show didn’t go the route of having them get together though and both couples survived.
     The couples that didn’t survive were Finn and Rachel and Will and Emma.  Last week Santana made noises like she was going to tell Rachel that she and Finn had sex last year, and this week she just got so fed up with them that she finally did tell Rachel.  Once Rachel realized everyone else knew before she did, she was even more upset, and went to Puck for comfort and revenge.  Even though I doubt she would have slept with Puck, I was pleasantly surprised that he has matured enough to be the one to see it would be a horrible thing for him to do to Finn, especially after what happened with Quinn last year.  Rachel wanted Finn to be hurt too, and she got what she wanted, but he broke up with her because of it.  When Finn slept with Santana, Rachel was seeing Jesse, and they weren’t together, whereas Rachel cheated on Finn.  I don’t blame him for ending it with her, and she should be ashamed of herself.
     Emma married Carl in Vegas!  I don’t know what is going to happen with this story, but I want her and Will together.  I love John Stamos, but he is underused here, and I would rather see him in a lead role somewhere else.  I think Will and Emma would be great together, but I know they have to go through more before that can happen, if it ever does.  I just really didn’t see this marriage coming at all.

No Ordinary Family – No Ordinary Anniversary
     I really don’t like Dr King at all.  I actually do like Will, and I think he is being used by Dr King, and being blackmailed into doing what he wants.  That was pretty obvious when the evil doctor refused Will the serum that will keep him extraordinary.  I don’t think Will is a bad guy, just a guy who will do whatever he has to do to remain special.  I also got the feeling he does really like Katie, and I think as he likes her more he, and as Dr King treats him worse, he will come around to being a good guy.  I hope so anyway.
     It was really nice to see Jim and Stephanie work as a team to stop the super-arsonist in this episode.  I understand why she doesn’t want to continue down that path, because they are parents and need to do what’s best for their children, but it was cool to see them both using their abilities together to catch the bad guy.
     I also liked seeing Daphne and JJ work together, although taking a bunch of money from unsuspecting schoolmates, even if they were jerks, wasn’t a great way to use their powers.  Then to do so again to get away with fixing a broken statue and breaking into their school to do it was just annoying.  It bothers me that the writers haven’t really figured out a way to let the children use their powers to do good things, instead of things that are at best morally grey.  I get that they are still finding their way, and as teenagers are already prone to be self-involved, but I really hope the writers come up with something better for these kids soon.

Sons of Anarchy – NS
     It took me all season to realize the episode titled SO was not so, as in so what, but S-O as in the first of Jax’s double ring set that spelled SONS.  Until I saw this title, and realized the N-S is the only ring he still wore, having left the S-O at his father’s grave.  In the episode he left the N-S at his father’s grave, and I think it symbolized his walking away from his father’s legacy of doubt and apathy about the club, and into the role of a leader within the club.
     Kurt Sutter is genius.  Sick and troubled, but GENIUS.  I really enjoyed this season for the most part, and this episode was a brilliant end to it.  I am so thrilled the way it all ended, and enjoyed a second viewing, knowing that the club knew what was going on.  I am hoping somewhere Kurt will say just WHEN Jax told everyone.  Was it during this episode, or was it earlier, like when he first made the deal, or somewhere in between?
     I was THRILLED that Opie was the one that ended Stahl.  I loved seeing her having to watch what happened to Jimmy, and the whole time you could see she knew she wasn't going to walk away from this encounter.  When Opie took her sunglasses off and made her stand there and watch Chibs exact his own revenge, it was awesome.
     Speaking of, I was literally cheering, applauding, and fist pumping when Chibs was the one doing Jimmy in.  The fact that he gave him the "Glasgow smile" before digging his knives into Jimmy and twisting while looking him in the eyes was the perfect revenge.  I actually think, after everything Jimmy did to the club and to Chibs, he got off easy.
     So as the season ended, several of our boys are going to be in jail for at least 14 months, Gemma is on house arrest for 3-6 months, and Tara is pregnant and in possession of John’s letters to Maureen.  In at least one of those letters John comes right out and implicates Gemma and Clay in his own death.  How those letters are going to come into play next season is going to be in the back of my mind for the next 9 (sob!) months until next season starts.  I can’t wait for the DVD of this season to be released.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I finally watched it! Breathtaking. Even more than Stahl's (awesome) execution.. I loved the ending when Jacks' dad's voice was heard (as his letters were read by Tara)..saying how Jemma and Clay were so cold, barely hiding their affair and that Jemma would be responsible for his death...and seeing Clay's satisfied smirk in the paddy wagon, and Jemma's satisfied smirk in bed with her ankle bracelet, and then finally Jacks' smirk.... chilling. Well done I must say

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO!! I don't wanna wait 9 months for more SAMCRO!

    ReplyDelete